Plants of the Canary Islands Relevant Recipes

Tuesday 19 June 2012

The Three R´s in Gardening

Re-using, Reclaiming & Re-cycling


In the garden I try to use recycled items wherever possible.
My most recent vegetable bed is made from an old wicker chest of drawers. I found it one day on the side of a street, for the bucket and thought it looked okay, and it was.
For many months I used it within my plant room, in a conventional sense as a chest of drawers, holding string, tags, pots etc.
I then used the drawers as plant pots having seen some "designer" square wicker plant pots in the upmarket plant pot section of the garden centre , each pot approximately 15euros each, mine Free.


Yesterday I decided to turn the whole carcass into a vegetable bed.


                                                                                                                                                                   
Once filled with compost will last a few seasons.

I have also reclaimed most of the seats in the garden, only ever having to
give them a rub down and a new coat of paint. These seats are extremely comfortable, makes you wonder why they were in the bucket??




 I re-use the large spring water bottles as cloches/mini propagators - I just cut off the bottoms and that way I can put the tops on or off depending on whether I want more heat or less.

I do re-use the plastic pots that shop bought plants come in - making sure I thoroughly wash them with hot soapy water and rinsing and drying them before use. This stops any possible disease being passed on, it
hasn`t happened yet.
I also compost all my vegetable/fruit scraps, it makes a rich compost. I mix it with used kitchen roll, newspaper and lightweight cardboard and non-diseased plant cuttings, a little water now and again and off it goes.

I would love to hear your ideas on re-using/recycling in your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment